The start of a new year is a terrific time to help your kids build excellent habits. Making New Year’s resolutions is a wonderful way to do this! Kids enjoy having a goal. Depending on their age, youngsters can enjoy tracking their progress on charts or receiving praise or awards.
Preschool resolutions for the New Year
- I will try hard to put my toys back where they belong.
- I’ll let my parents help me brush my teeth twice a day.
- I shall wash my hands after using the restroom and before eating.
- I like to try new foods, especially colorful vegetables.
- I will learn to help clean the table after dining.
- I shall be kind to all animals. I will learn to inquire from the owner first before petting them.
- I will always hold an adult’s hand when crossing the street.
- I will be polite to other youngsters who need a friend or look sad or lonely.
- When I need help or feel worried, I will talk to my parents or another trusted adult.
New Year’s resolutions for youngsters (5 to 12 years old)
- I will always drink water and milk with meals. I’ll save soda and fruit drinks for special occasions.
- I will always use my seat belt in car. I’ll use a booster seat until I’m tall enough to utilize a lap/shoulder seat belt.
- I will choose a sport or physical activity I enjoy and perform it three times a week!
- I will protect my skin by using sunscreen and wearing a hat and sunglasses whenever possible.
- I will always wear a helmet when riding a bike, scooter, or skateboard.
- I’ll strive to befriend youngsters who have trouble establishing friends by chatting to them and asking them to events.
- I will report any bullying I witness or hear about to an adult to help make school safe for everybody.
- I will not post my name, address, school or phone information online. Also, I’ll never send a picture of myself to someone I’m chatting with on the computer or phone without first telling my parents.
- When I have a problem or am stressed, I will try to talk to my parents or another trustworthy adult.
- I promise to obey our household’s videogame and internet usage policies.
- I’ll try to read for fun.
Teenage New Year’s Resolution Ideas (13 years old and older)
- I will consume two portions of fruit and veggies per day. I only consume sodas or fruit juices on special occasions.
- I will take good care of my body by exercising and consuming the correct meals.
- When I have free time to watch TV or play video games, I try to pick informative, nonviolent shows and games that I enjoy. I will spend only one to two hours per day on these things. I promise to follow our household’s videogame and internet regulations.
- I will strive to obtain the 8-10 hours of sleep my body requires each night.
- I will help out where I can in my neighborhood. I will volunteer with community groups or other organizations that serve the needy. These activities will improve my self-esteem and community pride.
- When I am furious and stressed, I will take a break and do something productive like exercise, reading, journaling, or talking to a parent or friend.
- When presented with a difficult decision, I will discuss it with a trusted adult.
- When I see my peers hurting, getting bullied, or making unsafe choices, I seek out a trusted adult to try to help.
- I shall be selective in my dating choices. I will respect the other person and not compel them to do something they do not want to do. I shall not employ force. I expect to be treated equally in return.
- I will not try drugs, alcohol, smoking or vaping.
- I agree not to use a cell phone or text while driving and to always wear a seat belt.